Right now, I work for The Tor Project, a non-profit which advances free speech and human rights by developing free anonymity software you can trust.
Previously, I edited & wrote for Washington Square News, NYU's official student paper, and interned at Freedom of the Press Foundation.
Here's a selection of clips from the last few years. When I was 16, I self-published a 20,000-word series of essays on growing up with a physical disability. I include them for the sake of completeness, and you can read them here.
For the Irish Independent
For the Tor Project:
- Meet the Tor Summer of Privacy and Outreachy Interns, April 2018.
- Protect the Open Web as a Ford-Mozilla Fellow, March 2018.
- Tor + Outreachy: Internships for Underrepresented People in Tech, February 2018.
- Volunteer Spotlight: Meejah Helps You Integrate Tor into Your Code, February 2018.
- Volunteer Spotlight: Alec Helps Companies Activate Onion Services, February 2018
- 2017 Was a Big Year for Tor, January 2017.
- Volunteer Spotlight: Kat, a Privacy Activism Veteran, December 2017
- Volunteer Spotlight: Damian Johnson, November 2017
- Meet Nyx, a Command-Line Tor Relay Monitor, November 2017.
- Introducing Bastet, Our New Directory Authority, November 2017.
- We’re Powering Digital Resistance with Help from Mozilla, October 2017.
- We Want You to Test Next-Gen Onion Services, October 2017.
- KIST and Tell: Tor’s New Traffic Scheduling Feature, October 2017.
- Report Bugs, Get $$$ Like @atechdad, September 2017.
- All Are Welcome at Tor’s Open Hack Days, September 2017.
- Relay Operators! Come Hang Out in Montreal, September 2017.
- Tor Browser Downloads Are Up in 2017, August 2017.
- De-Anonymization, Smart Homes, and Erlang: Tor is Coming to SHA2017, July 2017.
- Stop the FCC from Destroying Net Neutrality, July 2017.
Opinion pieces for Washington Square News, NYU's student paper:
- Stop the FCC from Destroying Net Neutrality, Tor Project Blog, July 2017.
- Everyone Should Learn a Foreign Language in College, Washington Square News, March 2017
- Studying Abroad 2.0, Washington Square News, September 2016.
- Facebook's real name policy must go, Washington Square News, September 2015.
- Netzpolitik shows importance of free press, Washington Square News, August 2015.
- Users Must be Wary of Webcam Snooping, Washington Square News, April 2015.
- AT&T payment plan further erodes privacy, Washington Square News, February 2015.
- Free speech under attack before Hebdo, Washington Square News, February 2015.
- NYU free speech stance online deserves credit, Washington Square News, November 2014.
- #GamerGate highlights industry misogyny, Washington Square News November 2014.
- Apple’s efforts strengthen personal privacy, Washington Square News November 2014.
- Apps for Communicating and Organizing in the Age of Trump, NYU Local, November 2016.
- The Syrian Civil War, tommycollison.com, April 2016.
- ISIS, Terrorism, and Religious Differences, tommycollison.com, February 2016.
- Churchill's Hiccup, and the Modern Nation State, tommycollison.com, February 2016.
- WSN Influential Students: Noah Geib, Washington Square News, December 2015.
- NYU Local, disability, representation, tommycollison.com, October 2015.
- Encryption Works: A Guide to Protecting Your Privacy for Journalists, Sources, and Everyone Else, Freedom of the Press Foundation, white-paper, September 2015.
- Steps to Protect Yourself from Online Creeps and Stalkers, tommycollison.com, May 2015.
I've wrote for Washington Square News all through my time at NYU. Click here to see almost all of my work there.